Have you recently bought a new blade grinder for yourself? A blade grinder needs careful attention if you want to use it efficiently as there are many things that could go wrong. It comes with a metal blade which can help in cutting your coffee beans into smaller pieces but it doesn’t provide you a consistent fine powder like a Burr grinder. To ensure that you get a consistent ground coffee, you need to grind the coffee beans in small batches which make it important to learn about the usage of a blade coffee grinder.
Here are a few tips and steps to grind coffee beans using your blade grinder. Also, check best coffee brewer with grinder.
Step 1: Make sure that your blade grinder is clean and there are no residual coffee oils from the last grind as this could alter the taste of coffee for you. So, clean your coffee grinder before you start grinding your coffee beans.
Step 2: Once you have cleaned the coffee grinder thoroughly, you need to open the top plastic lid of the reservoir and pour into it a few handful of coffee beans. Make sure you don’t overload the grinder with the beans as then it won’t be able to grind those beans effectively.
Step 3: Once you have placed the coffee beans inside the reservoir, you need to carefully close the plastic lid and make sure that it is locked and that no amount of ground coffee will spill out.
Step 4: Now, you need to press the button to start the grinder and the metal blades will start chopping through the coffee beans. You might need to apply a little pressure to the button or the plastic lid to make your blade grinders work so make sure that you keep an eye on your grinder at all times.
Step 5: You would need to perform step 4 multiple times to get a consistent quality ground coffee. If you need a coarser grind, you can simply grind your coffee beans once for 10-15 seconds but if you want a finer grind, then you would need to perform multiple 15 seconds grinds. This is because the blades can’t turn up an evenly sized grind in the first run and requires several runs to achieve it.
Note: Coffee grinder also plays an important role in espresso machines. Here’s freshpresso’s list of top espresso machines.
Here are a few tips to grind your coffee beans more efficiently with a blade grinder:
- Make sure that you fill in the reservoir with the exact amount of coffee beans that you would need to brew a cup of coffee.
- Don’t forget to cover the reservoir with the plastic lid to avoid spills.
- Make sure that you use short bursts to grind your coffee beans to avoid overheating your ground coffee and losing its aroma.
- If you want a finer grind, you would need to grind longer but if you need a coarser grind, you need to grind your coffee beans for a shorter period of time.
- Shake your grinder a little while mixing to give your grounds a chance to mix well.